Saw a report yesterday morning on Fox News (which I can’t find now on the Fox News Website, unfortunately) where Gretchen Carlson of Fox and Friends was interviewing the manager of Harbor Superstores in Michigan City Indiana. They were declining to participate in the “Cash for Clunkers” program bevcause they’d done the math on the program. Take the dollar amount of the program; divide by the number of dealers; and you get only 12-13 cars per dealership.
And this program was supposed to go until November? Must be the same math whiz who designed the Stimulus bill.
After that, things started happening fast:
In a shocker, the government announced it would suspend the program at midnight because demand was too great.
“People are loving it. It’s wonderful. It’s a great stimulus package,” salesman Andy Beloff said. But when asked if the government was running the program well, Beloff said, “No. No.”
But the money may be running out faster than anyone imagined. With almost 23,000 deals already processed and tens of thousands more in the pipeline, it’s possible the $1 billion allocated for the program might have already run out and into the pockets of people like Christie Acosta, who knew a good deal when she saw one.
And in a stunning display of complete incompetence, nobody seems to have a plan or a clue:
WASHINGTON (AP) – The government’s popular “cash for clunkers” program may be running out of money after only a matter of days as car shoppers flock to dealerships to take advantage of the rebates.
The White House said Thursday it was assessing its options amid concerns the $1 billion budget for rebates for new car sales may have been depleted. The program officially began last week and has been heavily publicized by automakers and dealers.
Transportation Department officials called lawmakers earlier Thursday to alert them of plans to suspend the program as early as Friday. But a White House official said later the program had not been suspended and they were reviewing their options to keep the program funded.
White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said they were working to “assess the situation facing what is obviously an incredibly popular program. Auto dealers and consumers should have confidence that all valid CARS transactions that have taken place to date will be honored.”
The program was scheduled to last through Nov. 1 or until the money ran out, but few predicted it would be depleted in days.
It suggested that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, car dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.
So nobody did their homework on this one, obviously. Peachy. And nobody knows what the frack they’re doing now, either.
And you wan t to trust these people with your Health care — is that right?